Re: [Debian-haskell] Activity?

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 8:29 AM, Joachim Breitner <nomeata@debian.org> wrote:
> Am Dienstag, den 13.01.2009, 11:45 +1100 schrieb Erik de Castro Lopo:
>> Is there any any interest in improving Haskell support?
>
> there is interest, but it seems manpower and motivation is lacking. I
> hope things will get rolling when the new ghc hits unstable or
> experimental. One of my wishes is to consolidate the two packaging
> helpers (haskell-utils and haskell-devscripts). The former has been put
> up for adoption by Ian, and I'm not sure if kaol, the new ghc
> maintainer, has already stepped up to take it over. The latter is
> maintained by Arjan Oosting, and he seems to be busy (or I'm just not
> reaching him with my suggestsions). So things are quite slow ATM.

Yes, there is interest.  I've done some minimal research into
automatic building of libs from hackage.  Unfortunately I bumped up
against an issue with haddock, which is addressed in GHC 6.10 (haddock
is distributed in GHC from 6.10) so I've put that on hold until 6.10
hits experimental or unstable.

I'd like to see Debian rival Arch when it comes to availability of
packages.  Realistically that won't mean official packages in
debian.org repos, but rather experimental packages built with minimal
manual work hosted in some semi-official location.   Well, that's my
dream anyway ;-)

/M