apt-get install crashes zaurus

Hello,

I have a Zaurus C700 and the debian port from http://pocketworkstation.org/ on a 512MB SanDisk Ultra II SD Card.

Everything works fine including networking etc. Trying to install via apt-get install, however, has so far resulted in crashes. SSH-Access is still possible and it can be seen that dpkg is taking all the system resources.

Looking at the ZDEbian Wiki  I found the following:

Don Leuenberger reported that running a background sync loop during the installation also helps prevent crashes:

while true; do sync; sleep 1; done &

Which helps in the sense that the Z doesn't crash anymore, but I get the following message after a while

E: sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg exited unexpectedly

Has anyone had the same problem and is there a solution other than mounting the card in sync mode which, I understand, makes it VERY slow (and I haven't tested that yet to see if it removes the crash).

Thanks,

Christian

--
Bibliograph: Open Source On-line Reference Management

http://www.bibliograph.org

Email: info@bibliograph.org