new distribution

I am seeking information on the creation of a new distribution.  What
are some tool names?  Google is not playing nice tonight (I can normally
find whatever I need, but there are so many articles on installing
debian that its hard to filter them out and get to what I want).

I cant chroot into an environment to make the install image without
having stuff already installed, and I would rather not do it that way if
it can be avoided so that my resulting image is clean.

Thanks
--
Trixter http://www.0xdecafbad.com