Re: Z hangs on apt-*

On Tuesday 21 October 2003 11:07 am, Joerg Sommer wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I installed a Debian root on a SD card, but when I run apt-get ... it
>starts "Reading package list", but it hangs.

Quoting from http://pocketworkstation.org/

On my Zaurus, operations that write lots of data to the MMC card often crash
the Zaurus - it's still pingable, but the filesystem is dead. A typical
symptom is "apt-get install" getting stuck at the "Getting package
information..." stage. I think this is bug in the MMC/SD driver, everything
works fine on a microdrive.

Mounting the SD/MMC card in synchronous write mode makes things very slow, but
helps prevent these crashes:

mount /dev/mmcda1 -o remount,sync,noatime

Don Leuenberger reported that running a background sync loop during the
installation also helps prevent crashes:

	while true; do sync; sleep 1; done &
<<

Haven't had that problem yet myself...

Jeff Elkins