Re: Connecting Zaurus to Debian unstable

On Sun, Sep 14, 2003 at 02:11:40PM +0200, Philipp Wolfer wrote:

> I#ve recently upgraded my Debian box from stable to unstable. Since then
> I've two problems connecting my Zaurus:
>
> 1. The hotplug script did not bring up the usb0 interface anymore. I
> looked at the /etc/hotplug/net.agent script and found the following line:
>
> exec /sbin/ifup $INTERFACE$LIFACE
>
> $LIFACE is set to "=hotplug", that means the script tries to execute the
> command ifup usb0=hotplug. What is that good for? I've not found
> anything in the manpages for ifup or interfaces whcih would allow such a
> command.
> However, it works if you remove the $LIFACE variable.

/usr/share/doc/hotplug/README.Debian

> 2. If I insert the Z and the usb0 interface is set up everything works
> fine. But *before* I remove the Z from the cradle I have to run ifdown
> usb0, otherwise I'll get a nice kernel panic the next time I insert the Z.
> I only have this problem when using a 2.4.22 kernel with usbnet, my old
> kernel 2.4.20 with the usbdnet patch still works fine.
> Has anybody experienced this behavior? Perhaps I should try the 2.4.21
> kernel, too. Or file a bug.

That's always happened to me as well with usbnet, though apart from that the
driver works much better than usbdnet.  I didn't actually get kernel panics
(not that I could see); my system just froze up hard.  I was always in X at
the time, and couldn't switch to the console to check for panic output.

--
 - mdz