Re: More questions about debian on Zaurus

* Klaus Weidner (kw@w-m-p.com) wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 28, 2003 at 04:32:59PM +0100, Simon Pickering wrote:
> > The sort of is that I can't un-suspend. The on/off key doesn't work to
> > turn off (not sure if this is normal), so I used the command from
> > 'start menu'>system>suspend.
>
> Yes, that's normal. You can also use [Action]-[Cancel] to suspend
> instead. I'll fix that in the next fbvnc version, the [Power] button
> wasn't mapped right when I wrote the previous version.
>
> > A soft reset is now needed to get up and running again.
>
> That's not normal.
>
> > The suspend problem seems a lot like the conflict which used to occur
> > with the original XFree86 from sourceforge, but after rebooting I didn't
> > think the scripts ran (I also tried it straight after running
> > INSTALL.d/postinst.sh with the same result). I'll have to take another
> > look.
>
> The suspend/resume thing is rather hairy to get right, you need to make
> sure that you don't have conflicting programs that are both trying to
> handle it. Does OZ have some sort of power management running in the
> background even with the GUI not running?
>
> What did work for me was to have zapmd running if (and only if) the
> Debian / fbvnc client environment is active, and fbvnc does the suspend
> via "zsuspend" ("echo suspend > /dev/zapmd &").
>
> The system hangs if zapmd is still running when Qtopia tries to suspend.
> The "Fbvnc" wrapper shell script should handle starting and stopping
> zapmd, but it won't work right if the "zdebian" startup script didn't
> run, since it needs the "zapm proxy" to get it working from the chroot.
>
> The clean solution would be to get the standard "apm -s" working instead
> of having each environment do their own thing - I haven't tried OZ
> recently, if it does work let me know please.

	OZ has apmd running in order to provide suspend/resume script
functionality.  In order to work around the fact that the Z will not
wake up if it gets suspended by one app while another has the device
accessed, we send a signal to apmd which results it apmd doing the
suspend.  Hackish, but allows an 'apm' wrapper script to either send the
signal or call the original apm binary, depending on whether apmd is
running.  apm -s always works.

--
Chris Larson
kergoth at handhelds dot org