qtopia on desktop: TimeZone issue

i realize this isn't an issue for the handheld per se, but i'm syncing
my zaurus running open zaurus with my desktop running debian testing and
am hitting a snag on the desktop side.

when syncing z -> desktop, the time of the events in the calendar on the
latter are 8 hours back (1pm becomes 9pm) from what they are on the z.

i'm wondering if this is a debian specific issue with where the time
zone is handled for the desktop and perhaps i need to tweak something
accordingly: the one debug message i get when staring qtopiadesktop is:

Using /home/serge/.palmtopcenter/ as your Qtopia Desktop directory.
initEnvironment() Invalid TimeZone (null)

basically, it appears as if the timezone is not setting properly in
qtopia (which is verison 1.6.1 created using alien on the rpm from
trolltech). i've played around with the locale.conf file and those
changes seem to be reflected in the settings under the desktop, but they
don't affect the problem.

--
Serge Rey	http://irsr.sdsu.edu/~serge
I look at coding like skiing: if I don't fall on my face