Re: Interested in joining Debian Hams to help from time to time

Hi again,

now that i'm subscribed to the mailing list no need to add me in copy anymore :)

On Sunday, September 11th, 2022 at 11:57 AM, Christoph Berg <myon@debian.org> wrote:
> or is missing a feature you'd like. Or go through the list of open
> bugs in that package and check if they still apply (and then mail
> "yes/no" to the bug so others know).

Definitively worth to go through the list.

> > I'm the author of QrssPiG https://gitlab.com/hb9fxx/qrsspig for which I
> > neither have much time but is still maintained and improved for over 5
> > years.
>

> Is that something that would be interesting to have in Debian?

Long term yes. As of my understanding of Debian release mechanisms, once in Debian it will be harder to change the upstream version to a new one. So maybe wait a little for some more maturity of the project.

Going through the RFP list i saw rx_tools is listed: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=841022

Petter Reinholdtsen already did some initial packaging work in 2016.
Is he still around on this list ? If yes i'd be interested to know why it has been abandoned. Just lack of time or interest or any more serious issues ?

This could be a first packaging project that shouldn't be too hard. My only concern would be that it doesn't seem maintained upstream anymore. It is definitively a useful tool when working with scripts that interface various SDR receivers. Some don't have a cli tool (SDRPlays...) or not always convenient to use in automated scripts (BladeRF...).

Thanks and best regards,

Martin