Re: Question on best approach to add debian/ packaging files into Linpac source code tree

Hello Christoph,

You can of course include the debian/ directory in the release tarball.
In practise, Debian will continue to maintain its own version though,
since we need to be able to make changes to the packaging, so the
value added will only be useful for users compiling linpac by
themselves instead of apt-installing it.

Ok, thanks for telling me that.  My goal is to let people package Linpac (and ultimately other programs) more easily as I'm not a big fan of users running "make install" alone.  I think all the dependency tracking, warnings when systems get OS updates, etc. is all invaluable.  For the longest time, I've been recommending people to use "checkinstall" tool.  This simple program doesn't drag in all the other packaging tool requirements that "devscripts" and "fakeroot" bring in.  Unfortunately the version of checkinstall that Debian packages has a known bug ( https://github.com/opencv/opencv/issues/8897 ) when using Cmake that stops all that in it's tracks.  A fix has been available  from the checkinstall developer since 2017 but he hasn't tagged any new version of code so the Debian packages probably have no idea.  Maybe this is someone in the Debian packaging universe can look at?

Anyway, as an alternative approach, I recommend users to use "cpack -G DEB" which can be made to work with some minor changes to the CMakeLists.txt file.

Understanding my goals, do you think that I should pursue with the "debuild" approach which is heavier weight for the user *or* maybe "checkinstall" is more appropriate?

   + add these debian/ files into my Git repo's debian/ directory
   + update the date in
https://sources.debian.org/src/linpac/0.25-1/debian/copyright/
`dch -i` will automate that part, btw. (Found in the devscripts
package.)

Ok.. thanks for mentioning that.

   + add in this Debian gitlab-ci.yml file   (maybe this is a bad idea since
it's Gitlab centric)?
That's only useful for packages hosted on salsa.debian.org (or other
gitlab instances), yes.

Ok.  I would not include that then.

   - Remove the "patches" directory as it's no longer needed - found in
https://sources.debian.org/src/linpac/0.25-1/debian/patches/
The release tarball shouldn't have any patches, right.

One thing I've never understood about the Debian packaging team is that they come up with various fixes for programs and add them to the packaging system but I've never heard of that packager NOTIFYING the upstream project of the fix and asking them to adopt it.  A good example of this is the current Linpac 0.25 package in Sid/unstable has a fix yet I was never notified of it's existence.  This issue was addressed independently but that resulted in double work.  Oh well but it seems like an area for improvement for the community.

Build-Depends: ax25-apps | ax25apps

(Ideally, get that repository to rename their package, though.)

Thanks for that and I'll ask but if I was to guess, I bet this was intentional to different things.  I don't think this is the way to do it though.

--David