Re: Question on best approach to add debian/ packaging files into Linpac source code tree

Hi David,

Re: David Ranch
> I'm actively working on making Linpac (
> https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/linpac ) more Debian package friendly before
> I release the 0.28 version (currently it's the develop branch at
> linpac.sf.net).  I have successfully packaged a test version of Linpac0.28
> by copying the various Ubuntu packaging files ( http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/l/linpac/linpac_0.24-3build2.debian.tar.xz
> ) but I've also noticed that there are some unique Debian centric file
> additions found on https://sources.debian.org/src/linpac/0.25-1/debian/ ).
> Is this an acceptable approach to get these packaging files into the Linpac
> source code archive?  Would it be safe to:

You can of course include the debian/ directory in the release tarball.
In practise, Debian will continue to maintain its own version though,
since we need to be able to make changes to the packaging, so the
value added will only be useful for users compiling linpac by
themselves instead of apt-installing it.

>    + add these debian/ files into my Git repo's debian/ directory
>    + update the date in
> https://sources.debian.org/src/linpac/0.25-1/debian/copyright/

`dch -i` will automate that part, btw. (Found in the devscripts
package.)

>    + add in this Debian gitlab-ci.yml file   (maybe this is a bad idea since
> it's Gitlab centric)?

That's only useful for packages hosted on salsa.debian.org (or other
gitlab instances), yes.

>    - Remove the "patches" directory as it's no longer needed - found in
> https://sources.debian.org/src/linpac/0.25-1/debian/patches/

The release tarball shouldn't have any patches, right.

> Is it possible to change the control file to support a more generic package
> dependency list or some sort if OR?  Something like:
> --
> Build-Depends: debhelper-compat (= 13), libax25-dev, libncurses-dev,
> ax25-?apps

Build-Depends: ax25-apps | ax25apps

(Ideally, get that repository to rename their package, though.)

Christoph