fldigi audio configuration.

I'm getting back to ham radio after many years of absence. I'm running
an Elecraft K3, PSK31 mode, with a Signalink USB sound card feeding into
fldigi under Debian Wheezy.

My question concerns fldigi audio configuration. Because I happen to
have PulseAudio installed, I checked Pulse Audio in fldigi audio
configuration. However, it asks for the sound server string. $ echo
$PULSE_SERVER returns nothing. How do I obtain the string's value?

Pavucontrol shows fldigi playback on and fldigi capture from. My K3
receiver is set to 14.070.15 and fldigi is set to 14070.00. The sound
from the K3 speaker sounds like I might be getting some signals and the
noise produces an occasional random character in fldigi's Rx field, but
so far no waterfall. That is, I choose default PAL to be dark blue, but
waterfall area is black. I'm not sure my magnetic loop antenna still
functions after years exposed to the elements.

Haines Brown (KB1GRM)