Re: debian-hams task SDR detail

On Πεμ, 2016-02-04 at 10:57 +0100, Daniel Pocock wrote:

> On 04/02/16 01:26, A. Maitland Bottoms wrote:
> > Daniel Pocock writes:
> >  >
> >  > I was looking at
> >  > http://blends.debian.org/hamradio/tasks/sdr
> >  >
> >  > and it lists a whole range of SDR related packages
> >  >
> >  > Is there any wiki about SDR on Debian?
> >
> > I do not know. But I really could contibute to one if I knew about it.
>

> I started one here:
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/SoftwareDefinedRadio
>
> and linked to it from the DebianHams page
>

> >  > Out of all the packages listed:
> >  >
> >  > - do any provide a ready-to-run receiver, or do they all require the use
> >  > of additional scripts or programming?  E.g. GNU Radio requires the user
> >  > to download one of several available flow graph samples
> >
> > Receiver:
> > `apt install gqrx-sdr` - run /usr/bin/gqrx
> > Handles lots of hardware, rtl-sdr, uhd, hackrf, rad1o, airspy, bladerf
> > and more...
> >
> >  >
> >  > - do any provide a ready-to-run transceiver?
> >
> > yes, if your computer sound card is wired to transceiver audio.
> > (Some rigs have USB with audio endpoints.) And some keying/PTT
> > circuit....
> >
> > `apt install freedv`
> >
> > `apt install quisk`
> >
> > quisk needs a config file written in Python. Much of quisk is in Python.
> > I am in the process of preparing my next quisk upload to be in the
> > Debian Hams package pool, so it won't just rely upon me.
> >
> > Note: these applications I mention were all released in Jessie, and
> > newer and current versions are available in jessie-backports.
> >
> >  > Furthermore, do you envisage it is possible to make a ready-to-run SDR
> >  > receiver or transciever using a Debian Hamradio Blend live image or if
> >  > not currently possible, would it be achievable for a GSoC student to
> >  > fill in some or all of the gaps to make this happen?
> >
> > I've been quietly working on making this a reality. It's time to make more
> > noise.
> >
> > I'll be at Dayton.
>

> I had a brief chat to the GNU Radio people at FOSDEM and they have some
> interest in GSoC again this year, so it could be possible to make a
> collaborative effort to recruit and mentor one or more students to work
> on different aspects of this.  They also have a live image based on Ubuntu:
>
> https://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/GNURadioLiveDVD
>
> and that may also provide a useful point of reference.
>
> Another thing that comes to mind: supporting digital modes like D-Star,

Check Digital speech decoder https://github.com/szechyjs/dsd

You can pipe rtl_fm output to dsd, or use the gnuradio module of DSD

https://github.com/argilo/gr-dsd

I also know that GQRX developers have a version of GQRX with DSD it is
not released to the public yet in favour of freedv.

> System Fusion

http://hb9uf.github.io/gr-ysf/

"Insights gained from this work might be used to add YSF support to e.g.
DSD"

> and DMR in SDR.  Do any of the packages currently support
> any of that?  Has anybody done any analysis of the software stack that
> would be required, e.g. are the codecs already available as standalone
> library packages?

I do not think that any of these programs will ever enter debian repos
due to mbelib.

> Regards,
>
> Daniel

Regards