debian-hams task SDR detail

Daniel Pocock writes:

 > I was looking at
 > http://blends.debian.org/hamradio/tasks/sdr
 >
 > and it lists a whole range of SDR related packages
 >
 > Is there any wiki about SDR on Debian?

I do not know. But I really could contibute to one if I knew about it.

 > Out of all the packages listed:
 >
 > - do any provide a ready-to-run receiver, or do they all require the use
 > of additional scripts or programming?  E.g. GNU Radio requires the user
 > to download one of several available flow graph samples

Receiver:
`apt install gqrx-sdr` - run /usr/bin/gqrx
Handles lots of hardware, rtl-sdr, uhd, hackrf, rad1o, airspy, bladerf
and more...

 > - do any provide a ready-to-run transceiver?

yes, if your computer sound card is wired to transceiver audio.
(Some rigs have USB with audio endpoints.) And some keying/PTT
circuit....

`apt install freedv`

`apt install quisk`

quisk needs a config file written in Python. Much of quisk is in Python.
I am in the process of preparing my next quisk upload to be in the
Debian Hams package pool, so it won't just rely upon me.

Note: these applications I mention were all released in Jessie, and
newer and current versions are available in jessie-backports.

 > Furthermore, do you envisage it is possible to make a ready-to-run SDR
 > receiver or transciever using a Debian Hamradio Blend live image or if
 > not currently possible, would it be achievable for a GSoC student to
 > fill in some or all of the gaps to make this happen?

I've been quietly working on making this a reality. It's time to make more
noise.

I'll be at Dayton.

73 de aa4hs,
-Maitland