Inquiry about GPL v3 code linked against OpenSSL

Dear all,

recently, I uploaded a package for gnss-sdr (http://mentors.debian.net/package/gnss-sdr). The package was rejected due to a conflict between GPL v3 and the OpenSSL license. From what I've got to know, the upstream license must include an exception to the GPL allowing linkage against OpenSSL.

I’m also an upstream developer of such software, so I want to implement the required changes for package acceptance. These are the devised steps:

1) Include a file called LICENSE.OpenSSL containing the OpenSSL license text available at https://www.openssl.org/source/license.html

2) After asking permission to the authors of all the source code files under GPLv3, adding the following sentence to the usual GPLv3 header:

"This program is released under the GPL with the additional exemption that compiling, linking, and/or using OpenSSL is allowed.”

as suggested at https://www.openssl.org/docs/faq.html#LEGAL2.

3) Adding to our COPYING file containing the usual text of GPL v3 the following paragraph at the end:

“  In addition, as a special exception, the copyright holders give
  permission to link the code of portions of this program with the
  OpenSSL library under certain conditions as described in each
  individual source file, and distribute linked combinations
  including the two.
  You must obey the GNU General Public License in all respects
  for all of the code used other than OpenSSL.  If you modify
  file(s) with this exception, you may extend this exception to your
  version of the file(s), but you are not obligated to do so.  If you
  do not wish to do so, delete this exception statement from your
  version.  If you delete this exception statement from all source
  files in the program, then also delete it here. “

as suggested at https://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2004/05/msg00595.html.

We would like to ask if we are on the right path, and if there are any other requirements regarding this issue that we need to address from the upstream side.

Best regards,
Carles

Dr. Carles Fernández Prades
Head of the Communication Systems Division
Senior Researcher

Centre Tecnològic de Telecomunicacions de Catalunya (CTTC)
Address: Parc Mediterrani de la Tecnologia
      Av. Carl Friedrich Gauss, 7
      08860 Castelldefels, Barcelona, Spain.
Phone: +34 936452909    Fax: +34 936452901
http://www.cttc.es/people/cfernandez/