APRS and Packet Radio Update

Hi,

I notice aprsd is now gone as previously discussed on the mailing list. I'm
working on two replacement packages: aprsg and aprx.

aprsg depends on libfap5, which I've packaged up today and Colin has just
uploaded to the NEW queue. I'm not having luck with getting aprsg to build
and it doesn't look to have been touched in nearly 3 years. I've contacted
upstream to see if this is something they are willing to fix and if not, I
may abandon hope for aprsg.

I'm just starting on aprx now, and it already had a d/ structure where they
produce third-party packages so this shouldn't be too tricky. It also seems
to have been maintained recently.

For direwolf, which can also act as an igate/digipeater as well as a TNC,
this got stuck in the NEW queue based on the lack of source files for some
documentation. Upstream has provided these to me now and there should be a
package ready for upload tomorrow.

I'm looking out for an alternative to Xastir, not to replace it, just for
those that want something different. I know of aprsmap[1] but haven't tried
it out. If anyone fancies giving it a go and thinks it's worth packaging,
file an RFP and either someone will claim it and package it or I will once
I've finished with my current queue.

[1]: https://github.com/gordonjcp/aprsmap

Offtopic - I aim to go through the RFP bugs periodically and update the wiki
with any packages that I think the team would be interested in. As a long
term plan, I do like the idea of a hamradio blend, and this can be tracked
with the web sentinels, but that's not for this weekend. Shorter term goal
though, I'm going to see if I can get PET[2] going for the team. I've been
promised beer if I can fix it for the Debian Med team, and once I've done
one I figure another won't be too hard.

[2]: http://pet.debian.org/

Iain.

--