Re: fbbdoc package - possible removal

Chris Knadle said:

>On Wednesday, September 03, 2014 14:11:16 Colin Tuckley wrote:

>> The fbbdoc package hasn't had a real update since 21 Dec 2001 when it
>> was initially uploaded.
>>
>> All of the uploads since then have only been changes to the Debian
>> packaging!
>>
>> Upstream has now stopped including the documentation in the tarball for
>> fbb, relying on the Web version instead. So we don't have an upstream
>> source for it any more.

The maintainer could spider the current on-line documentation.

>I've had a quick look at the latest upstream tarball from Jul 2013 (the fbb
>source package has a watch file that points to this):
>
>   http://f6bvp.free.fr/logiciels/BBS-f6fbb/xd705f-src.tar.bz2
>
>and the docs/html/ directory looks very similar to me, so I'm not sure I
>understand what you mean.  Is this not the same source?
>
>It seems (on the surface at least) like the fbbdoc package is essentially a
>duplicate of what's contained in fbb and that the fbb package control file
>could add an 'fbb-doc' binary package if it's still desirable to have these
>docs split into a separate package.  [Or at least if I was maintaining this
>package, that's one of things I'd consider.]

Fixin the package name would be a good thing.

>> I'd like to propose that we remove the fbbdoc package from Debian.
>
>That seems to me like the right thing to do regardless.
>
>> Any objections? If I don't hear anything within a few days I'll request
>> removal of the package.

ISTM there is some value in having an off-line docs package. Especially
for a package which is likely to be used in circumstances where there is
no Internet access.

--
Steve K0STK <steve@debian.org>
Public Key at gopher://kostecke.net or `finger steve@kostecke.net`