Re: packet terminal software?

All,

There's been considerable discussion on this over on the RaspberryPi4Hams list since a bunch of newbies discovered Linux. Linpac was mentioned and I brought the discussion here to get the attention of David Ranch. Short version is that David is the maintainer and he has brought Linpac up to speed on new distros. I've successfully compiled it on the RPi, which is based on Debian Wheezy. David has produced a script that grabs sources including Linpac, applies patches and gets Linpac ready to compile. The script works brilliantly. David is on this list so I'll leave it for him to announce availability. Linpac has the ability to get and send mail to a BBS.

Also on the RPi list is an op who has been working on getting TNT (from Germany circa 2000) to work on modern systems. I believe he has the program working but not the kernel ax25 interface, at this stage.

John Wiseman, G8BPQ, has LinBPQ which works a treat, although I've never used it (but used his BPQ node for many years with the FBB BBS).

All of the above work in a console.

Also on the "must look at again" list is the GUI LinKT (Europe circa 2003) . Being based on QT3 might present an unsolvable problem because I believe QT4 is not backwards compatible and QT3 seems to have been dropped. Perhaps the experts here might care to comment.

All of the above can work with the kernel ax25 stack which means a soundcard modem can be used.

Ray vk2tv