Re: Intent to NMU or help for an l10n upload of gpredict to fix pending l10n bugs

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 11:40 PM, David Prévot <taffit@debian.org> wrote:
> Hi Charles,
>
> Le 25/04/2012 21:25, Charles Suprin a écrit :
>
>> As an upstream contributor to gpredict, I am confused regarding what
>> the nature of the problem.
>
> Please see it more as an offer to help than a problem per se. Let me try
> to be more verbose about it.
>
>> Or is the problem that not enough of the strings have been translated
>> into other languages? (Something I would be less helpful with.)
>
> That's exactly the issue I was pointing, and the one I'd like to help
> with. Given Wheezy is about to be frozen, we (the Debian i18n Task
> Force) would really like to include a software with a translation status
> as good as possible, not only in stats numbers, but also in quality.
>
>> If it is the second, then there seems to be some progress looking at
>> the current status on launchpad.
>> <https://translations.launchpad.net/gpredict>
>
> Are you, upstream, using launchpad to handle translations of your
> software ? If so, I'm not sure I can really help.
>
> Given the French PO file, it was my understanding that the last
> translator actually proposed the translation via the Debian l10n French
> list of contributors. I don't know if he is still willing to update the
> translation, but someone else of the Debian l10n French list is already
> ready to take care of the update if the previous translator doesn't reply.
>
> What I was proposing in my initial message, is to send a call to the
> previous translators (in all currently supported languages) if they are
> willing to update there translation, and to the related l10n team in
> order to allow someone else to take care of the translation if the last
> translator happen to be MIA.
>
> Of course, if upstream has already a different workflow to handle
> translations, I will not interfere, but please let me know, so I can
> inform at least the French translators that their update won't be welcome.

Hi,

Some time ago we have set up Gpredict translations via the Launchpad
but only as a means to allow more people to contribute. This turned
out to be a good idea because it brought the translations from
practically nothing to something.

Using the Launchpad does not rule out using other methods. The
official translation are still the po files in the code repository
hosted on SourceForge
(http://sourceforge.net/scm/?type=git&group_id=213550). The Launchpad
is set up to import the source code from here into a bazar repository
hosted on the Launchpad. The translations are extracted and merged
with the one in the Launchpad. From time to time I download the
translations from the Launchpad and put them into the code repository
so that the two are identical. Therefore, if somebody translates by
editing the po files and we put it into the code repository, the
Launchpad should be able to import them as new translations.

Alex