Re: AX25 and related software's future in Debian

On 5/05/2012 1:14 AM, Patrick Ouellette wrote:
Dan,

Playing Devil's advocate - the argument has been put forth in the
"other discussion" that according to popcon (the Debian popularity
contest), node has 81 installs, and 17 reporting as "active" while the
nodejs package has 720 installs with 163 reporting as "active."  So their
conclusion is the node package is only used by a small community.

Does anyone actually USE popcon though? I dunno about you, but I have ~400 debian boxes in use around my clients, and NONE are participating in popularity contest.. - Having the server info + installed packages sent off to some off-site location is a security risk, and a stumbling block on the way to PCI Compliance. That and it just seems microsoft-style creepy!

I don't think you can honestly expect to use popcon as a valid indicator to the ax25 packages' install base.. - Much like you couldn't expect it to be valid for snort, acidbase, or other tools used in a secure environment? (Which a ham radio node needs to be, to maintain the separation of ham-tcpip and public-tcpip networks).

Regards,

Damien

--
Damien Gardner Jnr