Re: RFS: ax-emergency-listen

Hello everybody !

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 12:48:41PM +0200, Jaime Robles wrote:
>> Reading the link of the software I read:
>> "The use of the APRS® Internet Gateway subsystem is allowed only for
licensed
>> radio amateur operators. APRS® is a registered trademark of Bob
Bruninga,
>> WB4APR."
>This statement is no sense. "licensed radio amateur operators" without
>proper context means nothing: there is no central/global/international
>authority on licencing amateur stations.

That statement makes sense in its own context. It is not possible to
take an isolated sentence from another page, placing it somewhere else
and pretend it will still make sense.

In that sentence, "subsystem" refers to my own APRS-IS Gateway subsystem
(a system which is part of a larger system). The context (of the
original sentence) is well specified and is the location of my own
station. That page refers to using my own amateur station (which offers
several services) not the ax_emergency_listen program. For your
information, that page belongs to a set of web pages located at
http://iz6rdb.ampr.org.

The ax_emergency_listen program is only intended to receive (it does not
transmit) and therefore it can be used by anybody (no license is
required).

The ax_emergency_listen program is not related to any other program
called "aprsmon". The ax_emergency_listen is based upon the "listen"
program which is part of the ax25-apps package (as explained in the
README file).

With its GPLv3+ license it should be fully compliant with Debian and
most other Linux distributions.

It is a very simple utility program that can also be run as a daemon
(the script is not provided because it's too much distro-dependent,
perhaps it will be provided in a future version but basically it just
needs to daemonize it by launching it as a background job).

73,

Guido IZ6RDB