Fwd: Re: conflicting with a package that has a binary with the same name ?

Hi,
i'm the "nodejs" package manager, and am facing difficulties
because upstream nodejs is using /usr/bin/node, which conflicts
with /usr/sbin/node, from package "node".
Would it be possible to change its name ? (e.g. /usr/sbin/x25node)

I know my request might sound unpleasant, but it would save me
a lot of work (and angry users), since nodejs is getting more and
more popular, and for each modules and software using nodejs, a
patch will be required if i keep renaming its binary.

With kind regards,
Jérémy Lal
--- Begin Message ---
On Sat, Aug 21, 2010 at 3:10 PM, Jérémy Lal <kapouer@melix.org> wrote:
> On 21/08/2010 15:00, Julien Cristau wrote:
>> On Sat, Aug 21, 2010 at 14:23:19 +0200, Jérémy Lal wrote:
>>
>>> But nodejs is getting more popular, and renaming its binary to nodejs
>>> will probably upset many users. Is it legitimate to keep /usr/bin/node,
>>> and Conflict: node ?
>>>
>> No, it's not.  Best would be to convince your upstream to use a less
>> generic name.
>
> I've tried once, without success, and now that's too late,
> given the number of people and modules already using nodejs on other platforms.
>
> BTW is /usr/bin/node and /usr/sbin/node really considered a conflict ?
> i certainly see it as troublesome.

You could use the alternative system.

ANd ask also upstream to x25 to change their binaries to x25node

Bastien