Trouble connecting from Debian Linux to Yaesu FT-450AT using hamlib or kermit

Please cc me directly on replies. I am trying to use my Yaesu FT-450AT connected to my Linux Debian Unstable box for the first time, and I am having trouble connecting to the rig via the cat cable. I am running 2.6.32-5-amd64 on an AMD64 system. I have a Prolific-based USB-serial adapter that's connected to the Linux box's USB port and the radio's CAT cable port via a USB hub. I've used the cable and hub from a Windows laptop before without problems.

If I try to use hamlib from Xlog or KLog, it doesn't work. I figured I should be able to talk directly to the rig using kermit (very nostalgic -- made me think of the 80's). The CAT RATE is set to 38400 on the rig, so I thought the following should work:
faerun:~> kermit
C-Kermit 8.0.211, 10 Apr 2004, for Linux
 Copyright (C) 1985, 2004,
  Trustees of Columbia University in the City of New York.
Type ? or HELP for help.
(/home/tepperly/) C-Kermit>set line /dev/ttyUSB0
(/home/tepperly/) C-Kermit>set baud 38400
/dev/ttyUSB0, 38400 bps
(/home/tepperly/) C-Kermit>connect
Connecting to /dev/ttyUSB0, speed 38400
 Escape character: Ctrl-\ (ASCII 28, FS): enabled
Type the escape character followed by C to get back,
or followed by ? to see other options.
?;?;?;?;?;?;?;?;

The "?;" appears after I type 'IF;' (single quotes are used as delimiters (not actually typed)). In more detail, nothing appears when I type 'IF', and when I press ';', the '?;' output appears from the rig. According to the Yaesu FT-450AT CAT Manual, 'IF;' is supposed to cause the rig to return a bunch of information.

I am not sure what to make of this. I've tried other CAT commands via kermit, and they all produce the '?;' output. I've tried all the different parities, and none are better than this. I don't really have anything else to try the serial cable with. It's worked from Windows before. Do you have any suggestions?

Here are the details of my system configuration:
faerun:~> uname -a
Linux faerun 2.6.32-5-amd64 #1 SMP Tue Jul 6 14:14:38 UTC 2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux
faerun:~> dpkg --list '*hamlib*'
un  hamlib1 <none>         (no description available)
un  hamlib2 <none>         (no description available)
un  hamlib3 <none>         (no description available)
un  hamlib4 <none>         (no description available)
un  libhamlib-util <none>         (no description available)
ii libhamlib2 1.2.11-1 Run-time library to control radio transceive Bus 001 Device 009: ID 067b:2303 Prolific Technology, Inc. PL2303 Serial Port
Device Descriptor:
  bLength                18
  bDescriptorType         1
  bcdUSB               1.10
  bDeviceSubClass         0
  bDeviceProtocol         0
  bMaxPacketSize0        64
  idVendor           0x067b Prolific Technology, Inc.
  idProduct          0x2303 PL2303 Serial Port
  bcdDevice            3.00
  iManufacturer           1 Prolific Technology Inc.
  iProduct                2 USB-Serial Controller
  iSerial                 0
  bNumConfigurations      1
  Configuration Descriptor:
    bLength                 9
    bDescriptorType         2
    wTotalLength           39
    bNumInterfaces          1
    bConfigurationValue     1
    iConfiguration          0
    bmAttributes         0x80
      (Bus Powered)
    MaxPower              100mA
    Interface Descriptor:
      bLength                 9
      bDescriptorType         4
      bInterfaceNumber        0
      bAlternateSetting       0
      bNumEndpoints           3
      bInterfaceClass       255 Vendor Specific Class
      bInterfaceSubClass      0
      bInterfaceProtocol      0
      iInterface              0
      Endpoint Descriptor: