Re: Struggling to start with PSK31

On Oct 19, 2006, at 6:38 AM, Haines Brown wrote:

I downloaded the source code for gMFSK.hjk.53, and checked that in the
source header file src/hkj-config.h is found the statement:

  #define WANT_WATERFALL_MOD 1

I compiled and installed it. But when I start gmfsk, it is still the
gMFSK 0.7pre1 that I had before (the waterfall context menu has the
same entries, and nothing about color).

Sorry to take up bandwidth with such a trivial issue, for I can't see
that a colored waterfall really makes any real difference.

You now have two versions of a gmfsk binary and depending on your $PATH one of them will be executed by default. To avoid this, you should either uninstall the original gmfsk package before installing the self-compiled one or install and use checkinstall in place of the 'make install' step. Checkinstall creates a Debian package of what you have compiled and it will appear as an upgrade to the Debian packaging system, although it will install things in the same place as 'make install'. It is not recommended to simply delete files installed by a package as the packaging system can get rather confused.

You could also create a Debian package by the formal method, but checkinstall is a simpler approach if you haven't mastered the details of package creation. Occasionally one will find a source tarball which already has a Debian rules file which, of course, is the best of all possible worlds.

73 - Bob, N7XY