Packet troubles on Sony VAIO or G3 via 'sound card'

I'm not getting very far with this.  The goal is to receive telemetry,
especially from AO-51 (ECHO,) and also APRS packets.  Here's what i have
to work with:

   Alinco DJ-G5TH
     AFSK and FM only, crossband full duplex,
     downloadable via over-air 'cloning' using DTMF
   Kenwood TH-F6A
     9600 compatible, FM/LSB/USB/WFM,
     crossband half duplex (alas), computer controllable

   Apple PowerMac 8500
     LINUX 2.4.21 (or 2.6.7), dmasound_pmac driver
     mic/line/video inputs
   Sony VAIO R505EL laptop
     LINUX 2.6.7, snd_ac97_codec
     mic input only

Software i've tried includes 'multimon' and 'soundmodem'.  The LINUX 2.6.7
kernels are unpatched [for a change!] and the mods to LINUX 2.4.21 mostly
just support unusual I/O devices.

On the PowerMac [G3], the MIC input has too much gain and the LINE input
(RCA plug) doesn't seem to be selectable under LINUX.  Neither radio seems
to work, as the noisy coming down the cables i have swamps the signal if
i tried to use the volume control or an external pot as an attenuator.
Under the MacOS 8.5 'Sound' control panel, one can select LINE and indeed,
it sound quite reasonable when monitored in that manner.

On the VAIO [i386] machine, 'multimon' decodes APRS packets at 1.2kb AFSK
with either radio.  'soundmodemconfig' shows similar waveforms to 'multimon'
but gets gibberish for APRS packets.  Thus far, i have not found anyone
transmitting 9.6kb packet locally, and attempts to receive a couple of
different satellites so far as not gotten any packets at 9.6 kb using
 'multimon'.  (I have not tried 9.6kb with 'soundmodem'.)

Anyone have any suggestions on how to make progress on receiving telemetry?
In particular,

  * How to select LINE input on a PowerMac 8500?
  * What might be wrong with 'soundmodem[config]' on a Sony VAIO?
  * If either machine is capable of doing 9.6kb packet via a 'sound card'?

I've spent too many hours trying to debug this thing and would gratefully
appreciate some ideas on how to proceed.  73's and thanks!

[Note: I never send unsolicited binary attachments and if you receive anything
purportedly from <kd6pag@qsl.net> that isn't signed with my callsign, then it
probably isn't from me.]