Re: usb to serial converters, multiple sound cards

Bud Rogers wrote:

I have two unrelated questions I'd like to put to the list.

First, I have more serial devices than I have serial ports. Is anyone on the list using usb hubs and usb to serial converters to drive modems or other serial devices on their linux systems? Are there any particular brands or models that work better than others?

I have successfully used an IoGear brand USB-to-Serial converter on various flavors of Linux, Windows XP, and Mac OSX. I bought it as an impulse purchase at a local store, so I don't know if they're the cheapest or best. But it works.

I bought it for work when my work laptop didn't have any serial ports and I needed to make console connections to Sun servers and Cisco networking devices. Minicom works fine with it.

I've never plugged it into a USB hub, so I have no experience there. It's always been directly connected to the PC (or Mac's) USB port.

Early kernel/hotplug combinations didn't release the device properly and it would "count up" in device numbers each time it was attached... /dev/usbS0, then 1, then 2, I think. (I may have that path wrong, it's been a while since I've used it.) Later kernels and versions of hotplug seemed to always put it back on the original device number correctly. A reboot of course, would clear the list and start over.

No comments on your sound card issues... sorry.

Have fun with it,

Nate Duehr, nate@natetech.com - WY0X