usb to serial converters, multiple sound cards

I have two unrelated questions I'd like to put to the list.

First, I have more serial devices than I have serial ports.  Is anyone
on the list using usb hubs and usb to serial converters to drive modems
or other serial devices on their linux systems?  Are there any
particular brands or models that work better than others?

Second, I'd like to put in a second sound card so that I can keep my kde
sound stuff separate from my packet/rtty/psk31 stuff.  I tried once
with a couple of cards that I happened to have on hand.  I was not
successful in making the second card work.  Is anyone on the list doing
this?  Any tricks or suggestions?  Do you know of any particular cards
that play nice together?

I'm running knoppix, which is more or less debian testing with a
sprinkling of unstable.  I upgrade nightly, so everything should be
current.  I'd appreciate any suggestions.

73,

--
Bud Rogers  <budr@netride.net>  KD5SZ  EM05vb