Re: directory to store TLE files

On Sun, Mar 07, 2004 at 05:17:09PM -0500, Patrick Ouellette wrote:
> OK all you satellite users, where would we like to put the TLE files for
> applications to SHARE?  It seems after a brief look at several tracking
> programs packaged for Debian, they all store the TLE files in their own
> places.
>
> I think (big mistake, I know) someplace like /usr/share/tle or
> /usr/share/satellite-elements is logical.
>
> (This was prompted by Dwarf's request for help maintaining seesat5.)

(Didn't we just have this conversation last month?)

/usr/share isn't too good because this data isn't static. It needs to be
updated regularly.

If we were really keen we could build a system where a common package
manages TLEs and all calls hooks provided by other programs to use the
TLEs. (Sattrack for example needs a program run over all the TLEs to
produce a combined file.)

Hamish