To: Eric Krohn <krohn@ekrohn.com>
From: Simon Baldwin <simonb@sco.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2004 12:49:50 -0800
Subject: Re: clicking in cw program

Eric,

Thanks for your interest in the program, and your email.

The click you refer to is caused by something which is called, IIRC,
the Gibbs effect.  For speed and accuracy, Unixcw is actually gener-
ating tone data all the time, and to get its keying effect, relies
instead on gating the tone data through the soundcard by setting the
PCM sound volume to either zero (silence) or to the set volume level.

Unfortunately, gating sound like this causes 'hard' edges where the
gating happens anywhere except on a sine wave zero crossing, and the
harshness of the effect depends somewhat on where in the sine wave
the on/off gating happens.  These hard edges to the audio stream are
what cause the popping effect.

I've tried to get round it, but it's hard to do given the fundamental
way that Unixcw works.  There's no way to query the soundcard to see
when a sine zero crossing occurs; awaiting this would have been the
best way to resolve the issue, but it's closer to real-time computing
than Linux will allow.

It seems that the problem is worse on some soundcards than on others.
My own isn't too bad at all, but it is affected.  Adjusting volumes,
to use more speaker amplification and less soundcard drive, or vice
versa, might help, and you may also get some mileage out of varying
the tone frequency (higher/lower probability of getting a hard edge
when gating the tone).  But fundamentally, I haven't yet found a sol-
ution, nor is there any update to Unixcw beyond the one you're using
from Debian.

Given that someone else recently asked about this too, I'll see if I
can take a second look, to see if anything can be done about it, when
I get the chance.  I'm not sure what, though, at the moment, as the
current demands of the program verge on timings that the Linux kernel
may not be able to deliver, at least, not without resorting to device
driver code and tweaks.  If I do happen to come up with some clever
way around this, I'll drop you a line.

Thanks again for your interest in the program, and best regards,

--S