Re: Announce: new EchoLink Howto

* Michael Renner <michael.renner@gmx.de> [2003 Sep 28 12:08 -0500]:
> Yes, but this is not compatible with EchoLink. EchoLink was the first
> application in this kind I saw (well, my girl friend, DL1STW pointed my to
> this). It would be best if they publish the protocoll and even the whole
> source code. But I  suppose they are not very interessted in UNIX, they even
> denied to link to my HowTo.

This thread is getting way off topic, but...

Michael, I'm a bit puzzled why you are trying so hard to make Echolink
work on Linux, when, by your own admission, the folks that are in charge
of it don't even want to deal with us.  Obviously, the authors, etc.,
have no desire of open protocols and competive software/platforms.  Why
then should we plead with them to accept us?

In general, if the authors of programs and protocols cannot or will not
support more than the Popular Proprietary Platform, then it is up to us
in the Free Software Community to create suitable replacements.  While
your HOWTO describes a work-around, it is just that, a work-around.
Please don't expect us that abhor everything about the proprietary and
control mentality to embrace this technology and treat it with the
respect we have for Free Software and open protocols.

73, de Nate >>

--
 Wireless | Amateur Radio Station N0NB          | "We have awakened a
 Internet | n0nb@networksplus.net               | sleeping giant and