Re: ARRL's LoTW with Debian Sarge

* Joop Stakenborg <pa3aba@debian.org> [2003 Sep 23 16:33 -0500]:
> Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> >
> >It sounds like they've released full source code then, if you got it to
> >compile on your PPC. I was halft expecting a binary only solution, so
> >that's great news.
> >

> Yes, they are distributing source code. However, the license is not GPL,
> but might be DFSG-free. There is some talk in the license about
> redistribution and product derivation which sounds feasible, but I am
> not sure about point 4, 5 and 6 in the license:

IANAL, or DFSG expert either.  The first time I read the license it
struck me as "Banner Ware" and probably not DFSG compliant.  The RPM
files claim the license to be a modified BSD license.

> 4. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this software
> must display the following acknowledgment: "This product includes
> software developed by the American Radio Relay League, Incorporated for
> use in the ARRL Logbook of the World project."
>
> So, do we need to include this in the package desciption, which
> eventually will apear on the debian package web site (which will
> advertise LoTW)?

If it were statically linked, probably so, but I'm not sure about a
dynamically linked lib.

> 5. Products derived from or including this software may not use "Logbook
> of the World" or "LoTW" or any other American Radio Relay League,
> Incorporated trademarks or servicemarks in their names without prior
> written permission of the ARRL.
>
> Does this mean I cannot mention LoTW when I link a program against the
> lotw libraries when developing an application?

It appears to me that the product *name* cannot contain those two terms
without permission, but I interpret this paragraph as allowing a
descriptive text, such as that in the .deb, to include those terms.

> 6. Use of this software does not imply endorsement by ARRL of products
> derived from or including this software and vendors may not claim such
> endorsement.
>
> My english knowledge fails me here, what do they mean by this?

Essentially, they are saying that ARRL's endorsement extends only to the
Trusted QSL software they themselves are making available.  Just because
the Trusted QSL library is used by a third party program, neither that
third party nor its program can claim any kind of endorsement from the
ARRL such as claiming to be "official", or endorsed for use with LoTW.

> >I volunteer to work on a package, but I'm out of the country for another
> >week so I won't be able to on it for a while, so if somebody else wants
> >to go ahead please do.
> >

> Good Luck with this package, I am looking forward to it. You might want
> to get some advise on debian-legal....

My advice exactly.

73, de Nate >>

P.S. My advice is worth the weight of these pixels on the screen!

--
 Wireless | Amateur Radio Station N0NB          | "We have awakened a
 Internet | n0nb@networksplus.net               | sleeping giant and