Re: Tlf support for the ARRL Sweepstakes

On Monday 28 October 2002 12:49, Nate Bargmann wrote:
> * Rein <rein@couperus.com> [2002 Oct 28 05:15 -0600]:
> > Tnx Nate and Bob for the test reports... Gives me something to chew at
> > before the CW portion. Unfortunately I will have to use CT as an operator
> > of CT9L (Madeira), but I will take a copy of tlf with me to show it
> > off....
>
> Ahhh, I did work them on SSB last weekend.  I'll look for you.

> > This has been repaired in 0.8.5, to be released today.
>
> Very good.

> > In the source I found a remark "to be fixed" :-)
>
> So noted.

> > 0.8.5 scores it as KP2.. with 3 points
> >
> > Probably because I added the new cty.dat to version 0.8.2
>
> Okay, probably my fault for not using the latest ctydb.dat with 0.8.4

> > > I had to do that in another contest, but that is the only way any of
> > > the programs can recognize the location, AFAIK.
>
> I'll have to check CT.  Been so long I can't remember if it handles both
> ways or not.

I am sure tlf has been able to handle this before... I will check why it
stopped doing it...

> > > VE2 and some of the W4 states (I heard a lot of W7 stations giving zone
> > > 4, so maybe one of those states also).  UA9 and 0 both span two zones.
>
> Judging from a grainy map it looks like Wyoming and Montana are in Zone
> 4 as are Kentucky, Tennessee, and Alabama, as is a good portion of
> central Canada.  West Virginia appears to be in Zone 5 while the rest of
> the 8 call area is Zone 4.
>
> A reasonable algorithm (at least at 5:30 AM after a time change) would
> be for US 6, 7 and VE7 (as well as /6 and /7) default to zone 3.  The call
> areas of 5, 8, 9, 0, VE3, VE4, VE5, and VE6 would default to zone 4.
> Finally, VE1, VE2, VO1, VO2, and US 1, 2, 3, 4 would default to zone 5.
> A code writer's nightmare, I know.

I think it is worth it for the cqww, being my favourite contest. And I got
some practise doing the arrlss :-)
I can't promise I can do this in time, as we leave for CT3 one week before
the test...

> If nothing else, I would like to see TLF check the zone again when a new
> number is typed in the exchange field.  This way if W4ABC is entered and
> TLF displays zone 5, but he is giving 04, then once I type 04 TLF will
> check its zone data for that band and will update if that zone has been
> worked before.  As it was, zone 05 would pop up and then when I entered
> zone 4 or 3 there was no indication of whether it was a new one until
> the QSO was made and logged.  Since in-country QSOs count 0 pts, I don't
> like wasting the other station's time.  This is really only a big issue
> in North America, so put this on the "wish list".

Looks like a good feature.

> > This is because of a request I got to make SSB work the same as CW...
>
> Fair enough.  So long as I know it is a planned function.

In tlf, the ENTER key is the main key. In the future I could make it a
parameter so you could choose.

> Look out, Rein.  If I, a little pistol, come up with some many wish
> items, what will the "serious contesters" request when they discover
> Linux + TLF?  :-)

Well, it helps being a serious contester myself :-) And remember, I am doing
this mainly for myself... If only there was more time...