Re: memory issues with debianham

At 17:48 17/06/2002 -0700, you wrote:

I pulled down the image and dd'd it to a floppy.  It begins to boot fine
after the lilo prompt, but after it gets to the ramdisk it runs out of
memory.  Is there a way to not use the ramdisk?

I would *really* like to use a linux logger for Fieldday this weekend.

The laptop is old 486/25 with 4mb ram and 300mb hd.

Hi Jaye,

Debian needs 12Mb of memory to install nowadays. I managed to install Debian Linux on an 8Mb laptop by taking the hard disk out of it and putting it into another machine with more memory. The install went okay and I tehn put the hard disk back in the 8Mb machine. So you might be able to do it if you can find another machine that accepts 2.5" hard disks...

Even with 8Mb of memory, only one virtual console and minimal processes in memory, it swaps often - 4Mb of memory just isn't enough... so I guess you'll have to keep that old laptop of yours running DOS :-)

73
Gavin
VK6HGR

--