soundmodem-0.4 woes

Help

I've been struggling for a while now to get soundmodem-0.4 going with debian
but I'm getting nowhere.

The problem is with libxml2 and libgtk1.2

I've gone to testing/unstable and put in libxml2-dev but I'm still getting
that ./configure message that sez "can't find xmlNewDoc, unable to link
-lxml"

the configure script does not recognise /usr/bin/xml2-config so I simlinked
it to /usr/bin/xml-config. Is this butchery or what?

libgtk1.2-dev seems to have unresolvable circular dependency problems
because there is only libgtk1.2-ximian which does not satisfy libgtk1.2-dev.

I would be grateful to hear from anyone who has compiled this app in a pure
Debian environment with no "aliens" and where they found the correct libs to
satisfy "configure"

or is there another way?

BTW my soundcard is a yamaha opl3-sa3 (toshiba laptop) and this appears to
be unsupported by soundmodem.o

sethdlc will not set any modes for the card.

ABTW gmfsk, hamfax, acfax, twpsk are all working BUTE! can't wait for
qsstv!!!

cheers from vk6pec

Peter Barrett
Network Integrity