Re: ax25-apt??

"Barrett, Peter G" wrote:

>         fair enough but what if they were installing a bog-stock potato from
> cdrom and then finishing off their shack software with stuff from testing
> sid etc?

Try it for yourself, you'll soon see that it's not a small upgrade.

>         There must be some good ways that amateurs could interact with
> Debian over the radio that (haven't been thought of)/(have been thought of
> but not discussed.)

One area of opportunity is the serious exploitation of rsync to optimise
updates. I know this is being looked at in various quarters and is problematic
in some ways, but rsync is magic over radio. One option, though disk hungry,
is to uncompress the .debs, use some clever renaming and rsync (-z && with no
-e) to update them, then recompress them to get around the problem of poor
rsync/gzip interaction.

I've done remote kernel upgrades in a similar way.

Anything that reduces the volume of data you need to carry will make the
exercise much more practical.

regards
Terry

--