RE: ax25-apt??

> >         TD has pointed out that it would be painful and this is the real
> > killer I guess.
> >
> >         What would it take to congest the channel?
>
> One, single, lonely apt-get between two stations with a good rf path.
>
> >         My idea was to only include electronics/hamradio/scientific
> > applications and/or apt-get upgrade/update.
>
> I think you'd be undermining your value proposition by offering only a
> selection of packages.. after all, if your userbase is already resorting
> to using the Internet to update their other packages, why wouldn't they
> update their electronics/hamradio/scientific applications at the same
> time?

	fair enough but what if they were installing a bog-stock potato from
cdrom and then finishing off their shack software with stuff from testing
sid etc?

> >         I guess it would not be much use if it takes days/weeks to
> update a
> > small system or download a few applications.
>
> Using 4800bps HAPN-modem based packet between two pretty well connected
> nodes it's taken all weekend to an 'apt-get update', let alone move any
> packages.

	I was afraid you were gonna say that

> >         Hey if it was popular but slow we could just fill up the whole
> band
>
> Despite the fact that I don't recommend it, I do recommend you try it for
> yourself. I'm sure you'll soon be satisfied one way or the other. It does
> work, it's just painfully slow.

	There must be some good ways that amateurs could interact with
Debian over the radio that (haven't been thought of)/(have been thought of
but not discussed.)

Peter Barrett
	Network Integrity