Re: HELP: soundmodem & keying rig

On Tue, 10 Jul 2001, Hamish Moffatt wrote:

> > Regarding soundmodem, what is the prefered soundcard?  I have an AMD/200
> > with PCI and AT slots that I would like to get a good quality soundcard
> > for use with ham radio and Hi Fidelity recording.  Any ideas?
>
> Good question. Quality is probably not essential for packet modem
> use, given that the RF channel is noisy in the first place.
>
> Probably the best card is whatever works.. the kernel soundmodem can only
> work with sb cards or WSS cards.. I'm not sure that any of the
> modern PCI cards emulate those. You need quite a good SB16 emulation
> for 9600 bps to work, from memory.

If you want to use the kernel soundmodem driver, a soundcard with good
emulation of the basic SB or WSS is needed. I don't have much experience
with that.

But when asked about a good soundcard for use with the userland soundmodem
Thomas recommended me the ES1371 based cards (in essence the SB PCI 128).
Actually the conversation was something like: is SB PCI 128 good? Yes it
is... :)

Anyway the nice thing about this is that the kernel sound driver for those
cards was written by Tom. That means some key features important for
functional soundmodem support are pretty sure to be found there. I have
seen enough sound card drivers that work only to the MS standards: if it
gives a woosh sound when you launch your missiles against that space
monster, it works... :(

--
Tomi Manninen           Internet:  oh2bns@sral.fi
OH2BNS                  AX.25:     oh2bns@oh2rbi.fin.eu