Re: HELP: soundmodem & keying rig

On Mon, Jul 09, 2001 at 09:31:04AM -0700, Jaye Inabnit ke6sls wrote:
> I am just amazed that you could pull this off with a 486!

Never underestimate old hardware. :-)  The machine is an old Packard-Bell
486DX/66 w/32 MB, which was a gift from the Free Hardware Fairy (tm).
I squeezed Debian (Potato) into 91 MB of a 120 MB hard drive.  I wasn't
trying very hard to save space either. :-)  When I finally got the soundmodem
running and checked the load average, it was around .21.  Darn machine is
hardly breaking a sweat.  Looks like there will be enough spare CPU to play.

A friend and I have another 486/133 w/24 MB running as a router/mail/web
server (theshed.dhs.org) for his home LAN.  Originally, we were using a
486/25 w/24 MB.  Still would be if the hardware hadn't died (killing our
175 day uptime.)  Naturally, we run Debian.

> Now, do u plan to just aprs or is it going to be a full packet bbs or
> node???

The original plan was to set up a remote node (solar powered) to gather
and send back weather data.  Data collection will be done using the Basic
Weather Stamp.  At first, I hadn't thought about making it a pbbs or APRS.
I like the idea of APRS though.  Very likely, it will find it's way into
the project. :-)

> Would *really* like to see a recap post on results of this.

I'll be glad to.  My next task is to figure out how to set the machine up
as Net-ROM node so I can connected to the AMPRnet gateway.

        73... bob, kc2wz
--
 bob billson        email: reb@bhive.dhs.org          ham: kc2wz
                           reb@elbnet.com             Linux geek   /)