Re: HELP: soundmodem & keying rig

On Sun, Jul 08, 2001 at 03:53:11PM -0400, Bob Billson wrote:
> However, I can't key the rig.  I built a transistor circuit based on Tom
> Sailer's suggestions.  I tested the circuit separately from the computer.  It
> does, indeed, key the rig, so I know it works.  The soundmodem driver doesn't
> seem to switch the RTS line on computer's serial port (/dev/ttyS0).  I stuck
> an LED across this line to be sure the serial port worked.  If I do
> "echo hi > /dev/ttyS0", the LED lights briefly; so the serial port works.

I'd say that's the problem then. If you're using the kernel sound modem
drivers, then they have their own driver for the serial port and the
standard serial driver is interfering with that.

In the kernel log, when you 'ifconfig sm0 up' you should see a couple
of messages showing the resources sm0 is using. I would guess it
will say ptt: none, meaning that it couldn't get the ptt resource
(the serial port).

You need to tell the standard serial driver to release the port so
that the soundmodem driver can use it:

setserial /dev/ttyS0 uart none

> insmod parport      # <--- is this really needed for the serial port keying?

No.

cheers
hamish