Tiny2 & STA led

Hi All

When I reboot Linux having left the Tiny2 in kiss mode the STA led remains on
when I try to connect to a station. The PTT led does try to send packets but no
connect results.  If I reset the Tiny2 by switching on-off then the STA led
goes out but I can not receive any packets. If I try a connect again then the
STA light remains on as above.

When I first set up from the TNC being in the command mode I do the following
and its OK.

Boot Linux (Debian 2.1) kernel 2.2.14
Put TNC in kiss mode with Minicom.
start Kissattach
start LinPac

Linpac is working fine!
Shut down Linux leaving TNC in kiss mode
reboot Linux
start Kissattach
start LinPac

Then the above problem occurs
I have cleared out the TTY lock file in /var/lock with no effect.

Help please

CU 73's Brian
G3VWH