Re: Ubuntu branches on salsa

Hi Iain,

Am 12.06.19 um 11:30 schrieb Iain Lane:
> Hi there,
>
> This is something we've talked about in the Ubuntu team, and I've been
> meaning to bring it up with pkg-gnome for a while but kept delaying. I'm
> wearing both my Debian and Ubuntu hats here.
>
> When we switched to git in pkg-gnome, Ubuntu also followed suit. On the
> Ubuntu side we've been pushing to Launchpad. By and large (IMO) it's
> been positive - our packages are derived from Debian's and this makes it
> much easier to maintain the delta. But there are some warts that can
> make it difficult to work with, particularly for new and drive-by
> contributors and people who don't yet have a good mental model of how
> git and gbp work. I'll not go into all the details, but the main one is
> that the 'upstream' and 'pristine-tar' branches get really difficult to
> handle if they are out of sync downstream - when we want to take a
> release ahead of Debian or if we're occasionally on a different series,
> for example.
>
> My proposal is to allow Ubuntu (no reason that other downstreams
> couldn't do this if they were in a similar position too) branches to be
> pushed to the repositories on salsa. This would require that we add
> members of the Ubuntu team to the group. On the Ubuntu side we'll take
> responsibility for educating our developers to avoid disrupting Debian's
> work. I think it'd be possible to arrange the permissions so that they
> can't push to 'debian/*' (make those maintainer-only, and only grant
> Ubuntu people the developer permission), but I hope we could try without
> doing that initially.
>
> I believe that the MySQL / mariadb team does something like this:
>
>   https://salsa.debian.org/mariadb-team/mysql (look at the branches)
>
> Thoughts / objections / non-objections?

I'm not really active anymore in pkg-gnome so take my feedback with a
grain of salt, but what I would do is to pick a couple of packages (some
trival ones (like games) and some more complicated, like glib), and just
try for a while and then re-evaluate later.
If there is a benefit for Debian to add those Ubuntu branches, then I
don't see why it shouldn't be added.
My point is that we probably can't tell without trying and we shouldn't
be afraid to doing so.

Michael

universe are pointed away from Earth?