Ubuntu branches on salsa

Hi there,

This is something we've talked about in the Ubuntu team, and I've been
meaning to bring it up with pkg-gnome for a while but kept delaying. I'm
wearing both my Debian and Ubuntu hats here.

When we switched to git in pkg-gnome, Ubuntu also followed suit. On the
Ubuntu side we've been pushing to Launchpad. By and large (IMO) it's
been positive - our packages are derived from Debian's and this makes it
much easier to maintain the delta. But there are some warts that can
make it difficult to work with, particularly for new and drive-by
contributors and people who don't yet have a good mental model of how
git and gbp work. I'll not go into all the details, but the main one is
that the 'upstream' and 'pristine-tar' branches get really difficult to
handle if they are out of sync downstream - when we want to take a
release ahead of Debian or if we're occasionally on a different series,
for example.

My proposal is to allow Ubuntu (no reason that other downstreams
couldn't do this if they were in a similar position too) branches to be
pushed to the repositories on salsa. This would require that we add
members of the Ubuntu team to the group. On the Ubuntu side we'll take
responsibility for educating our developers to avoid disrupting Debian's
work. I think it'd be possible to arrange the permissions so that they
can't push to 'debian/*' (make those maintainer-only, and only grant
Ubuntu people the developer permission), but I hope we could try without
doing that initially.

I believe that the MySQL / mariadb team does something like this:

  https://salsa.debian.org/mariadb-team/mysql (look at the branches)

Thoughts / objections / non-objections?

Cheers,

--