Re: bad experience with Gnome 3.8 on kFreeBSD

Am 18.10.2013 03:08, schrieb Bruno Melo:
> Hi,
> I have kFreeBSD jessie here and I have installed the last gnome 3.8
> packages for transition from sid and I came here to report my bad
> experience:
> 1- Alt+Tab doesn't work.

(media) key handling, specifically the key grabbing, has been moved into
GNOME shell (previously it was a mix of gnome-settings-daemon and
gnome-shell, which was a huge mess).
This does affect the flashback (formerly known as fallback) mode, also
on Linux.

> 2-GDM unusable (using LightDM now)

GDM relies on GNOME Shell now, so you need working 3D support. Not
necessarily hardware accelerated, llvmpipe works too, but I don't know
the state of llvmpipe on kfreebsd.
For i386/amd64 at least llvmpipe works okayish (tested in a VM).

> 3- Wallpaper doesn't appear, just a black screen.

Also a flashback mode issue (which also affects Linux). Desktop
background drawing has been removed from nautilus and moved into GNOME
shell.

> 4- Empathy and Epiphany don't show anything. Empathy doesn't show the
> conversation and Epiphany the websites.

Not sure about this one.

> 5- The multimedia apps also have problems.

The multimedia apps require clutter, so this might be same problem as 2/

> 6- Gnome Shell obviously can't run because kFreeBSD have not 3D
> acceleration.

I don't know the state of 3D (hardware accelerated or llvmpipe) on
kfreebsd. Would be great if someone more knowledgeable would provide
more insight.

> I recommend to you install kFreeBSD and test for themselves to see what I'm
> talking about. It's almost unusable :/

The bad experience you encouter looks to a big part due to the bad state
the flashback/fallback mode is currently in. And unfortunately I only
see it get worse over time unless someone steps up to help
maintain/develop it.
As for GNOME Shell / GDM not running on kfreebsd: We'd love to see
kfreebsd users/porters/developer investigate that.

None of us Debian GNOME maintainers use kfreebsd, so we rely on
fixes/patches from others.

Michael

universe are pointed away from Earth?