Re: slow gnome session start

On 10/19/2011 12:17 PM, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
Hi,

On Wed, 19 Oct 2011, Matthieu Imbert wrote:
Recently, after updating several gnome debian packages, the session
startup time went from around 1s to around 10s (i have an ssd disk).
How can i debug the cause of this?

Your report is a bit short on information.

Are you using wheezy or sid?

The migration to GNOME 3 has started so it's possible that you have
some unexpected mix of GNOME 2.30 and GNOME 3 resulting in little
glitches like this one.

Is your system up-to-date? I.e. have you updated all the packages that you
can with apt-get dist-upgrade?

If not, the first thing to do is to ensure you have all the latest
packages.

Cheers,

Hi Raphael,

I'm using wheezy. The issue appeared after upgrading a bunch of packages on Monday October 17. And yes my system is up-to-date (i usually upgrade all packages to their latest versions with aptitude update && aptitude full-upgrade on a weekly basis).

I will try to debug my session startup by running gnome-session --debug and look in .xsession-errors

Also I will wait for gnome 3 to be fully in wheezy and see if it solves my problem, because you are right that currently i have a mix of gnome2 / gnome3 packages (i can see it easily by the fact that some packages use gtk2 and have correct theming, while others use gtk3 and default theming since the theme i'm using is not compatible with gtk3)

cheers,

--
Matthieu