Re: Fixing the Gobject Introspection mess

Am Samstag, den 26.09.2009, 11:54 +0200 schrieb Josselin Mouette:
> Le samedi 26 septembre 2009 à 07:56 +0200, Sebastian Dröge a écrit :
> > Am Freitag, den 25.09.2009, 13:32 +0200 schrieb Josselin Mouette:
> > > 1. Package layout
> > >
> > > GObject-introspection packages provide introspection data
> > > in /usr/share/gir-1.0/Foo-X.Y.gir, and the
> > > optional /usr/lib/girepository-1.0/Foo-X.Y.typelib.
> > >
> > > The packages should be architecture-dependent.
> >
> > Only the typelib file actually is meant to be architecture-dependent
> > (right, the GIR file could be arch-dep too if the headers and API parts
> > of the sources (GObject properties/signals) are different from arch to
> > arch. But who does that?!).
>
> This has already happened, and this will happen again. For the same
> reason we make headers architecture-dependent, I think we should make
> GIR files the same.

Ok, with my proposal to put them into the -dev packages that is no
problem then ;)

> > Also the GIR file is only meant for build time things so it could simply
> > be placed in the -dev packages (as I've done so far).
>
> There is no “build time” for interpreters. What do you mean exactly?

Interpreters should use the typelib file and not the GIR file. The GIR
file is meant for generating bindings (like the current Python/C++/C#
bindings) while the typelib file is meant to be used at runtime to
generated bindings on the fly.

> > Putting the typelib files in the shared library packages will create
> > conflicts for soname changes. Not good (I know I placed them there in
> > some packages). Creating a new package just for the typelib file is not
> > good either ;)
>
> Agreed. We should probably mandate to always split the introspection
> files in a separate package.

So you would always put the GIR and typelib files into a single separate
package? Or only the typelib file? IMHO only the latter would make
sense, the GIR file can/should be in the -dev package, and if only
because of space savings.

If you meant the former, shall we also create separate packages for Vala
bindings? They're very similar to the GIR files but are also only needed
at build time ;)