Re: Fixing the Gobject Introspection mess

Le samedi 26 septembre 2009 à 07:56 +0200, Sebastian Dröge a écrit :
> Am Freitag, den 25.09.2009, 13:32 +0200 schrieb Josselin Mouette:
> > 1. Package layout
> >
> > GObject-introspection packages provide introspection data
> > in /usr/share/gir-1.0/Foo-X.Y.gir, and the
> > optional /usr/lib/girepository-1.0/Foo-X.Y.typelib.
> >
> > The packages should be architecture-dependent.
>
> Only the typelib file actually is meant to be architecture-dependent
> (right, the GIR file could be arch-dep too if the headers and API parts
> of the sources (GObject properties/signals) are different from arch to
> arch. But who does that?!).

This has already happened, and this will happen again. For the same
reason we make headers architecture-dependent, I think we should make
GIR files the same.

> Also the GIR file is only meant for build time things so it could simply
> be placed in the -dev packages (as I've done so far).

There is no “build time” for interpreters. What do you mean exactly?

> Putting the typelib files in the shared library packages will create
> conflicts for soname changes. Not good (I know I placed them there in
> some packages). Creating a new package just for the typelib file is not
> good either ;)

Agreed. We should probably mandate to always split the introspection
files in a separate package.

Cheers,
--
 .''`.      Josselin Mouette