Re: Configuration files location for GNOME applet

Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le samedi 22 novembre 2008 à 00:27 +0100, Andrew M. a écrit :
>> Hi.
>> I recently developed a small GNOME applet and I wanted to share it among a
>> few friends. It uses a couple of files to save settings and I was
>> wondering what's the best location to store them.
>> Is ~/.myapplet/ acceptable or should I use another folder?
>
> If it’s an applet using libpanel-applet, you should really use GConf to
> store the values so that the configuration can be instantiated once for
> each instance of the applet.
>
> If it’s merely an application using the notification area, you can use
> ~/.myapplet/ or ~/.gnome2/myapplet/, or course - but if you’re looking
> for a way to store user settings, GConf is the recommended way as well.

If you are not using GConf, I'd recommend to use the XDG basedir spec [1],
rather then ~/.myapplet/

Glib already has support for this, see the g_get_user_config_dir() function (I'd
recommend to install devhelp and libglib2.0-doc for easier access of the glib
API doc)

HTH,
Michael

[1] http://standards.freedesktop.org/basedir-spec/basedir-spec-0.6.html