Re: Printer management plans?

On Thu, Sep 27, 2007, Sven Arvidsson wrote:
> At the moment gnome-cups-manager is used, but it is in need of some
> serious love. As an example, printing test pages have been broken for
> quite a while (bug 379510). gnome-cups-manager also haven't had any
> upstream releases for a long time.

 Yes, gnome-cups-manager never was stable code and is completely dead
 upstream.

> Ubuntu seems to have gone with system-config-printer[0] for Gutsy[1] (it
> is also already available in Debian).

 I don't know how the Ubuntu choice was made, but I recall searching how
 RedHat was doing its printer management and found about their
 system-config-printer tool; later I recommended Otavio to have a look
 at it as a replacement for gnome-cups-manager.

> One of the drawbacks with system-config-printer is that the UI could use
> some polish, and it exposes some of the more arcane aspects of CUPS,
> such as classes. On the other hand, it appears to be very actively
> developed upstream and has been used in Fedora for some time.

 Yes, it's the default in Fedora and RedHat distros (and derivatives),
 so it has a large user base.

> So, is there any interest in using system-config-printer by default for
> Lenny?

 Perhaps the Ubuntu folks would have more information on the topic, but
 I'm really happy that we have a replacement available to us which is
 more stable and actively maintained.

--
Loïc Minier