Re: Tracker/Beagle integration in Nautilus

On Wed, 2007-02-21 at 00:54 +0100, Niv Sardi-Altivanik wrote:
> Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> writes:
> > I don't think it's wiseful to add another runtime dependency just to
> > support another search engine, especially when each new tracker release
> > shows it is improving over beagle.
>
> I really don't feel confortable to make the choice of witch indexer
> project to use, especially at a stage where beagle is offering more
> features than tracker, and that at least RedHat/Fedora and Novell/Suse
> are pushing it.
>
> Is the extra runtime dep really so heavy ?

Strictly from an end-user perspective, I think it's much better to have
both alternatives easily available. I think that given the memory
footprint of both tracker and beagle, the overhead in getting Nautilus
to support either or both would be minimal by comparison. And the
ability to choose which one you wanted to use would be a big plus in my
book. Either a "Depends: [ beagle | tracker ]" scenario or a "Provides:
desktop-search" + "Depends: desktop-search" (or something similar) would
be ideal in my book.

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837