Re: RFC: shipping a default gtkrc

On Thu, May 03, 2007, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> As it was recently suggested (sorry, I can't remember by whom), it is
> possible to ship a default configuration for GTK+ applications
> in /etc/gtk-2.0/gtkrc, that could look like this:
>         gtk-theme-name = "Clearlooks"
>         gtk-icon-theme-name = "gnome"
> When gtk2-engines and gnome-icon-theme are not installed, these settings
> will be silently ignored. Otherwise, they will be used by applications
> run outside a GNOME/XFCE session. They will also be overriden by
> *-settings-daemon, so this really looks harmless.
>
> What makes it useful is:
>       * that GTK+ applications should benefit of a better default look,
>         even when run outside GNOME;
>       * that some GNOME applications, like epiphany and evolution, make
>         assumptions of what icons are available in the default icon
>         theme, enforced by a dependency on gnome-icon-theme, but when
>         they are run outside GNOME, the default icon theme is hicolor
>         and they won't benefit of it.

 Yes, we received at least a couple of bug reports on the topic, such as
 #421353.

 I discussed this with Sébastien which reminded me that this is probably
 since we dropped a patch which was setting the fallback icon theme in
 gtk/gtkicontheme.c.

 However, there's now clean support for fallback-icon-theme as a
 GtkSetting, except it's empty by default (and the default
 gtk-icon-theme-name is "hicolor"); see GNOME #325546.

> Does anyone oppose to such a change?

 It's a good workaround to the bugs we receive, but instead of
 distributing a gtkrc, I preferred patching the default
 "gtk-fallback-icon-theme" which a bit better; this avoids touching the
 gtk-icon-theme-name setting, and shipping a gtkrc.

 I don't think we need Clearlooks as gtk-theme-name though.

--
Loïc Minier