[RFC] session saving and the logout dialog

Currently, GNOME 2.14 in etch keeps a major usability regression wrt.
GNOME 2.8 in sarge: it is impossible to save the session, except by
running gnome-session-save on the command line.

As this used to be done in the logout dialog - and it is the right place
for that - I'd like to open the discussion about which logout dialog to
ship for etch.

      * Option 1: revert to the 2.12 logout dialog.
This dialog is known to work, it has a good UI, it is translated, and
the change is easy to implement. The drawback is that we lose the
ability to open a new session in the logout dialog, but the option is
still here in Apps->System.

      * Option 1bis: customise the 2.12 logout dialog.
For example, we could add some icons to make it look fancier, or add the
"switch user" option. Translations should exist, but it is a bit more
work to integrate.

      * Option 2: customize the 2.14 logout dialogs.
We can add the missing features to the current logout dialogs, e.g. by
adding the "save session" checkbox in both of them. I don't like that
much, as it means adding the same thing at two places, which is bad UI
practise.

      * Option 3: add the "save session" ability somewhere else.
A direct option in the "Desktop" menu is probably too much visible.
However we could add a big "save session" button in
gnome-session-properties and fix it so that it doesn't register itself
to the session. A bit more work, though.

      * Option 4: use the Ubuntu logout dialog.
http://www.manucornet.net/ubuntu/JPEG/Logout_dialog.png
It has a poor UI, but with smaller icons and another ordering, we can
make it something good. However the "hibernate" and "power saving mode"
buttons will not be available, because they don't work with Debian's GDM
and we will not be able to fix it without the maintainer's cooperation.
We could then add the "save session" checkbox" on it without having it
looking too prominent.

I'd like to hear the opinion of as many people as possible. If you like
one of these options, say it. If you *don't* like one of these options,
flame it. If you have another idea, express it. We have to agree on a
solution that suits as many people as possible.